THE DEPARTMENT OF OBG was established in the year 2000 as a part of Venkateswara Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital.
The department is equipped with a museum, HODs room, Demonstration Hall and a Library.
The museum is equipped with 21 laminated charts, 7 models(purchased), 13 clay models done by students, 7 specimens displayed in glass containers with neat labeling. We have dummies of birth simulators, pelvis and fetal skull which are used to demonstrate normal and abnormal labour. We have models on stages of conception for 9 months which is used to explain the changes during pregnancy.
The department library has 42 books on obstetrics and gynaecology which is used as reference books.
The demonstration hall has a white board and accodomodation for 100 students in 4 batches
The Undergraduate teaching program in Obstetrics & Gynaecology is conducted for II & III BHMS students.
Teaching program consists of
- Theory classes
- Bed side clinics – Students will take the cases and present in Maternity ward.
- Case discussions – Discussion about the diagnosis, investigations, general management, remedial management and the prognosis of the case will be discussed.
- Demonstrations -/ Seminars done with the help of dummy and pelvis II & III BHMS Students will have postings in the Maternity ward for clinics. Theory teaching done using
- Power point presentation; Videos; Demonstrations with specimens.
- Normal labour & abnormal labour demonstration through dummy & pelvis.
Third year BHMS students get postings in allopathic maternity hospitals, wherein they gain practical knowledge by observing and assisting Obstetricians in the conduction of normal labour, Caesarean section and the various complications during pregnancy and albour.
They also gain knowledge about various Gynecological cases and their surgical procedures in the hospital
The OBG unit of our Hospital (Venkateswara Homoeopathic college Hospital) is especially well- known in and around Chennai for treating innumerable cases of infertility patients and granting the gift of parenthood to a lot of yearning couples. We are also famous for treating cases of PCOS, uterine fibroid, ovarian cyst, endometriosis etc, thus rendering surgery unnecessary in all these cases.